Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who Am I?

I'm not good at writing about myself.  It makes me feel down-right uncomfortable.  It shouldn't be too difficult considering that fact that I am probably the topic I know best.  Something about it though feels a little strange.  Maybe, writing in blog format will be a little better.  It feels much more conversation than something like an essay.

Who Am I?  It's a question that I am often faced with.  People constantly want to know.  It's not an easy question to answer.  I could tell you a few facts about myself: my favorite song or what I like to do for fun.  I could tell you that I am a good student.  But does that tell you who I am?  I can never seem to get past this and tell someone in a simple way, "This is who I am."  I believe that not being able to give a simple answer to that question is a good thing.  It means that I have at least some complexity to my existence.



Quite simply, I am Julia.

This obviously doesn't tell you anything about me.  Does it?

The members of my family are my best friends.
One day, I was snooping through my sister's wedding planning book, and I came across my name.  I already knew that I was going to be one of her "Co-MOHs" (Co-Maids of Honor), but I thought it was just because that's what sisters do.  You are in the other's wedding.  My sister had written why she chose each person to be a member of her wedding party.  She said that not only was I her, sister, but I was also a best friend.  I am so glad that she wrote that, because I feel the same way about her.  My mom and I are pretty much never apart other than school, work, and other commitments.  I always spend time with my mom.  I feel like we are attached.  I feel so close and connected to each one of my family members.  It is a true blessing.



I am a nerd.
I love to learn.  Since I was young, I've woken up with a desire to learn everyday.  This desire will never fade.  If I am old and in a nursing home, I will want something new to discover.  I don't know if scientists have discovered the "nerd gene" yet, but my "nerdiness" may be partially genetic.  My mom loves to learn, and my dad is a nerd in ways I don't know how to explain.  Grandpa Jay (on my dad's side) loved to tell witty puns.  I have obviously received my sarcastic, witty sense of humor from him.  I once had a discussion with a few friends about the difference between a nerd and a geek.  If you wonder, a nerd is really intelligent and studious, while a geek typically has a specialty such as a computer geek or anime geek.  If that isn't nerdy enough for you, I don't know what is.  I enjoy being a nerd.  It makes life so much more interesting.  I wouldn't know what to do with my life if I wasn't at least a little bit nerdy.  And plus, nerds are "in."



I want to speak foreign languages with incredible fluency.
Everyone knows.  Different languages are awesome.  Some people say, "Why doesn't everyone just speak English?"  That statement makes me so angry.  The beauty of life is that everyone is different.  Learning another language is not just knowledge.  By saying you want to learn a foreign language, you have already signed yourself up for a first-class ticket to discovery.  As I am writing about in my symposium for College Composition, learning about other cultures broadens your perspective.


I was born without arms and legs.
If you don't know me, I am sure this is a pretty shocking statement.  However, is true.  Nobody but God knows why this is.  I believe that I have a purpose on this Earth to inspire some people.  If I make a difference in one person's life, I have done well.  I am a part of an organization called Nebraska Youth Leadership Council.  This is a government-funded group of youth leaders who self-advocate for themselves and others with disabilities.  The group leader, Kristi Berst, was surprised of my anxiety about making friends in college, because she has only known me as an extremely outgoing, bubbly girl.  NYLC is the group where I feel totally "me."


At the Senior Seminar my school had yesterday, I was given a list to pick out good words to describe myself.  From a list of 126 words, I chose these:
Adaptable, Ambitious, Attentive, Capable, Communicator, Compassion, Conscious, Considerate, Cooperative, Creative, Curious, Determined, Disciplined, Empathetic, Energetic, Ethical, Fairness, Faithful, Flexible, Friendly, Generosity, Happy, Honest, Independent, Integrity, Intelligent, Interested, Joyful, Leading, Logical, Listener, Loving, Loyal, Nurturing, Open-minded, Optimism, Peaceful, Planner, Poised, Polite, Practical, Proactive, Problem-Solver, Reliable, Responsible, Sincere, Spiritual, Strong, Trusting, Trustworthy, Vibrant

I am supposed to put a picture up of my family tradition, but my mom ate the Easter egg before I could take a picture of it, so enjoy this nice picture of an Easter egg that someone else dyed. :)






This is a segment I took from an essay I wrote about what the song "Firework" by Katy Perry means to me.

“Firework” was my theme song "per se" when I went to Portland, Michigan to be a cheerleader for their Homecoming in 2011. When I arrived in my Portland hotel room, there was a sign with the various lyrics from “Firework.” That was probably the first time I realized what an empowering song it was. “Maybe you're reason why all the doors are closed / So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road.” This describes how I feel about Portland. Maybe the reason that I didn’t make the cheerleading squad in my hometown, Aurora was because I had better things coming my way. God had bigger plans for me. I think that standing up for myself in that situation could have opened some eyes about people with disabilities. At the very least, I planted a seed in some minds. At “Cheer for Julia,” a cheerleading competition created in my honor this year in Portland, I said that I was very thankful for the hardships I had to go through, because without them, I wouldn’t have met some of my best friends and my sweet coach.“If you only knew what the future holds / After a hurricane comes a rainbow.” These were the lyrics right before I went up into “Julia’s Pyramid,” a stunt which had the senior cheer team members lifting me up in the middle of two other flyers being lifted. That moment was a life-changing experience. I was flying. I consciously tried to remember every single second. The ambiance. My constant smile. The roaring crowd. My mom crying. I was filled with fear and joy. It was only about an hour before when I was told that the squad had this planned in their routine. It made me feel overjoyed when the entire Portland student body gave me a standing ovation. “You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine / Just own the night like the 4th of July / 'Cause baby you're a firework / Come on, show 'em what you're worth / Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh / As you shoot across the sky.”



15 comments:

  1. Julia,

    From one nerd to another: Baby, you're a firework! I loved your paragraph about the difference between nerd and a geek. Hilarious! I love being a nerd. I think all English teachers are nerdy. :)

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) You're losing. I just need you to know that since I didn't tell you in band this morning.
    B) Nerds are nifty. No denying it. We are the bomb.com
    C) I like that Pinterest is on your deep map. It's kind of taken over our lives.
    D) DFTBA even though you're not a Nerdfighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you read my blog!
      A) Thank you for that... I enjoy the game SO MUCH!
      B) I had an extra long segment about being a nerd! It was kind of a rambling mess.
      C) It's obviously one of the nine most important things in my life. It was supposed to represent creativity.
      D) I will never forget to be awesome.

      Delete
  3. Jules

    Hey I remember that conversation about nerds and geeks!!! We are so nerds! But hey, as you said nerds are AWESOME. I love love love your blog. With the pink, it is so you. I totally agree that we shouldn't all speak english. It diversifies us as a culture and that is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a strange conversation in Texas. It kind of blew my mind. Thanks for reading my blog! I love yours, too! It's perfect!

      Delete
  4. JULIA!!! I. Love. You. You write so openly and are truly yourself. Thank you so much for this blog-type glimpse into your life! I love that your family members are your best friends- I completely relate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog, Savannah! I loved yours! I definitely know that you family is all best friends! It's really awesome! Love you!!!!

      Delete
  5. Julia,
    I have shed quite a few tears (happy and sad) over the past 17 years, but you have always been a huge blessing to me. You have opened my eyes in so many ways that I never, ever could have imagined. With God's help, I've always wanted you to be the best, independent young lady that you could be. You are definitely a "Firework" and have been since you were a baby. I pray that your desire to learn and discover new things continues all of your life...it's an amazing world! I love you so much!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,

      I love that you responded to Julia's blog! That just makes me want to stand up and clap. I love that parents know that their child is doing creative things and writing about their lives. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Julia!
    I'm a great fan! You're so alive and full of energy! One thing..In one video, you do your cheers from a wheel chair...and that's OK, but then for a few seconds you're out of it, on the floor and you're so much more alive! It's like you were let out of prison or something...Really great! Do you like it better, being free of the chair??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I am so sorry I haven't responded until now! Thank you for your comment!
      I took dance class for 10 years and danced without my wheelchair. I do feel like I have more freedom. With cheerleading, it makes more sense for me to be in my wheelchair, so people can see what I'm doing better, and I can travel greater distances. I try to do the best I can in or out of my wheelchair and I don't let it define me either way.
      Julia

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      I am so sorry I haven't responded until now! Thank you for your comment!
      I took dance class for 10 years and danced without my wheelchair. I do feel like I have more freedom. With cheerleading, it makes more sense for me to be in my wheelchair, so people can see what I'm doing better, and I can travel greater distances. I try to do the best I can in or out of my wheelchair and I don't let it define me either way.
      Julia

      Delete
  7. Julia! Thanks for getting back...I really like that last part about not being defined by the wheel chair! Tell me more about the dance classes...what kind of dance???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, healthy, prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete